Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Looking back in time


Tuesday's Grand Connection Thought
by Mary May Larmoyeux


Subscribe to Grand Connection by Email

Have you ever felt like you went back in time as you watched your grandkids? That happened to me last week when I was with our three-year-old grandson and his big sister.

Our little grandson was having lots of fun with his "bow and arrow"—that is, shooting a rubber band from a plastic coat hanger. As I watched him I remembered his daddy being a cowboy in our backyard long ago; his gun was a stick.

Then, as our grandson took a small shovel and began to dig a hole in his backyard, big sis gathered the patio chairs together and turned them upside down. She was making a fort. I remembered the forts I made as a child under overgrown bushes, and the tree house that Pops' and my sons built long ago.

I'm reminded of something that Gloria Gaither and Shirley Dobson wrote in their book Let's Make a Memory: "We have this moment to hold in our hand, and to touch as it slips through our fingers like sand. Yesterday's gone and tomorrow may never come, but we have this moment today!"

How do you savor those special moments with your grandchildren? As you watch your legacy, do they ever remind you of your children?

Have a great week!
Mary
Mary May Larmoyeux
www.marymaywrites.com


Article © 2011 Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.
Photo © Melissa Patton / Dreamstime.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my grandsons and I planted a pine tree long ago. Each visit brought him in the back yard to see how much the tree had grown. It’s still there and holds a sweet memory. - Rita