Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Friday, September 28, 2012

Remembering to Count our Blessings

Subscribe to Grand Connection by Email


A few years ago, when our then three-year-old granddaughter was attempting to go to sleep, she said that she was afraid. I read Psalm 4:8 to her, “I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord make me dwell in safety.”

As I tucked her into bed, we talked about how God would give her peace and how He would watch over her. Then she said that she couldn’t sleep (yep … she could have been stalling for more time). So we started counting blessings. I left the room as she was remembering all of the ways that God has blessed her.

Recently, this same granddaughter (who is now seven years old) said that she was able to spend the night at a friend's house because she was not afraid. She said that I had taught her to count her blessings. It's amazing how God uses the little things that we do with our grandchildren!

Once I started a blessing book with the grands. We'd jot down in in people and things that they were grateful for. I confess, I haven't been very good at keeping it up. My granddaughter's recent reminder of counting our blessings makes me think that it's time to get once again get the little book out ... and keep it out.

If you haven't started a blessing book with your grandchild, you might want to do this. I'd love to hear your ideas about remembering our blessings.

Have a great weekend,
Mary
http://www.marymaywrites.com/
http://grandconnection.blogspot.com/.

© 2010 by Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.
Photo Credit: © Mary May Larmoyeux

No comments: