Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Baton of Legacy

Tuesday’s Thought

Everyone who submits a comment (or e-mail) from October 21-December 5 will be entered into a drawing. The winner will receive a copy of While They Were Sleeping: 12 Character Traits for Moms [Grandmoms] to Pray and “What God Wants for Christmas.” I’ll draw a name on December 6 and will announce the winner’s name in the December 8 blog.

As our family was enjoying turkey and dressing last Thursday, I recalled a Thanksgiving Day about 15 years ago. My mom and dad were visiting for the holidays and our sons were in school.

We were sharing our blessings and my dad said he was thankful that he had a good wife. Mom couldn’t understand him. “What?” she asked. “You want a new wife?”

We leaned back in our chairs and laughed, and a Thanksgiving memory was etched on our hearts.

When I think of Mom and Dad, I can still see them holding hands (even after being married for 50 years) and kneeling side-by-side at the foot of their bed to pray. I can see Mom wipe a tear from her eyes and can hear her say, “I still miss him [my dad] so much."

Flash forward to Thanksgiving 2008— Our sons, their wives, and our five grandchildren are gathered around our table with Pops and me. My dad is in heaven and Mom can’t travel any more. Life has changed, but Mom and Dad's legacy of devotion to one another, love of family, and devotion to God has not.

Psalm 78:4 says, "We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and the wonders he has done.”

Jim and I are now the grandparents. The baton of legacy is in our hands. It is up to us to tell the next generation.

He is able,
Mary
www.marymaywrites.com
http://grandconnection.blogspot.com


Subscribe to Grand Connection by Email

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a precious memory. Your mom thought your Dad was asking for a new wife. My mom was hard of hearing and we had so many incidents like that. She laughed more than the rest of us. Tom & I hold hands. One day this woman said. “Oh, they’re still in love they’re holding hands,” to which I responded, “Actually, we are holding each other to keep from falling,” and Tom said. “Don’t you believe it, I’m holding her so she can’t get away.” We all had a good laugh. You are right. We must pass the baton on to the children and grandchildren. -- Rita