Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A Thanksgiving idea to keep the main thing the main thing


Subscribe to Grand Connection by Email

Tuesday's Grand Connection Thought

by Mary May Larmoyeux

As I was thumbing through the newspaper yesterday, I couldn't help but notice all of the advertisements that are already out for Christmas. And, of course, it's still weeks before Thanksgiving!

Seeing those ads made me take a deep breath. "I've got to remember what really matters this holiday season," I said to myself.

Breath in ... breath out.

But keeping the main thing the main thing isn't always easy for me.  What about you?

Well, today I had the privilege of visiting with some bloggers from around Arkansas at FamilyLife; Barbara Rainey gave us some great ideas for keeping the main thing the main thing. She told the group about some of the beautiful resources that she has been creating for a new line of FamilyLife products, Ever Thine Home (everthinehome.com).

I'm really looking forward to using the Untie Your Story napkin ties on our table this Thanksgiving. The frayed edges give them a vintage feel, but what I really like are the different questions imprinted on each tie to encourage some great conversations.

To me, the holidays are great reminders of what matters most—faith and family and friends. And as a grandmother, I want to create customs that can be passed down from generation to generation. I hope that using the Untie Your Story questions will be an ongoing tradition for our family.

Another favorite tradition in our home is making gingerbread houses. It's really one of the highlights of the year for the grandkids. I'll share the recipe for this on Friday. It's a little bit of trouble, but well worth it!

What is something that you do during the holidays to help keep your focus on what really matters?

And what is one of your favorite Thanksgiving or Christmas traditions? 

Have a great week!

He is able,
Mary
http://www.marymaywrites.com/

© 2013 Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving. Family gathered around the kitchen preparing favorite dishes, family seated around the table giving thanks, family settled around the hearth remembering, remembering. Rita

Mary May Larmoyeux said...

Rita, thanks for leaving a comment. Yes, Thanksgiving is a great time to pause and remember!