Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A birthday surprise

Subscribe to Grand Connection by Email    

Tuesday's Grand Connection Thought
by Mary May Larmoyeux

Heart-to-heart celebrations and making memories go hand in hand. I was reminded of this after I posted last Friday's Grand Connection, "A teaparty keepsake."

After reading it, my dear friend Rita sent me an e-mail that I just have to share with you. "On my 80th birthday," she began, my four daughters decided to come for a birthday surprise." Rita's husband told her to wear something nice, but she had no idea what her daughters were cooking up for mom.

After driving to several places in Rita's hometown, the "girls" took her to a local hotel known for its high teas. "When we entered," she said, "I saw four young ladies seated at the tea table. I began to recognize faces beneath their lovely hats. They even had a hat for me."

Rita said that it was a wonderful birthday gift, one that reminded her of her mother's afternoon teas many years ago. "Each day, upon our return home from school around four o'clock in the afternoon, my mother carried a hot pastry from the oven and served her six children and a few cousins hot tea with dessert."

She said that her mother was following the example of her own mother and grandmother, a tradition that she had repeated with her own children.

On Rita's special birthday her daughters recalled those long-ago afternoon teas with their mom, and they gave her a wonderful memory. One Rita says she will never forget. One that her daughters and granddaughters will always remember.

    "Remember the days of old; consider the generations long past."
                                                           (Deuteronomy 32:7)


Have a great week,
Mary
www.marymaywrites.com/
http://grandconnection.blogspot.com/

© 2012 by Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.
Photo © Liz Van Steenburgh / Dreamstime.com

No comments: