Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The little things in life


Subscribe to Grand Connection by Email

Tuesday's Grand Connection Thought

by Mary May Larmoyeux

It's amazing how we remember some of the smallest, most seemingly inconsequential things.

The other day one of my granddaughters was helping me make the beds. "I remember making the beds with my own grandmother," I told her. And then my mind raced back decades ago to my "Nana." I could picture us standing side by side and remember her voice, "Tuck in the corners."

Later in the day I told this same granddaughter that she had been making good decisions and that she didn't have to ask me if she wanted something out of the refrigerator. "If you want some juice or fruit, you can just get it yourself."

"Nana," she said before bedtime, "When you said I could get my own snacks, it made me feel so good."

My comment had been such a casual, little thing. But it had made an impression on my granddaughter, and I sensed that she felt very loved.

What seemingly inconsequential things do you remember about your grandmother? Have they become precious memories?

He is able,
Mary
www.marymaywrites.com



Article 2012 © Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.
 Picture ©  Lane Erickson / Dreamstime.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would never have thought to tell the visiting grandchildren to “just get it for yourself.” We lose ourselves trying to take care of everyone and forgetting that a time comes when it is no longer our place. Just that little statement meant so much to your grandchild because you were giving her the responsibility ... you were treating her as a young adult. What a lesson. Thank you. Blessings, Rita