Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The privilege of praying for the grandkids




Tuesday's Grand Connection Thought

I call to You for help, LORD; in the morning my prayer meets You.
                                (Psalm 88:13, HCSB)


When I look at the world today, I realize how important it is to regularly pray for our grandchildren. Only God knows the challenges they will face tomorrow.

A few of years ago I started praying through a wonderful book While They Are Sleeping: 12 Character Traits for Moms to Pray. It gives specific verses to pray for the following character traits: kindness, humility, teachability, forgiveness, obedience, discernment, purity, responsibility, courage, servanthood, contentment, endurance. (You can purchase this book from FamilyLife.)

Since Pops and I have seven grandchildren, I have seven of these books—yes, one for each grand. I try to pray for one grand on one day a week, and when I pray for him/her I write the date (and sometimes a note) inside While They Are Sleeping.

I've told the older grandkids that I pray for them and shown them the While They Are Sleeping books.  Two of our grands were at the house recently, and the seven year old seemed very pleased when she saw "her book." 

I've also done a great Bible study by Sammy Tippet, Praying for Your Family. Sammy gives specific ways to pray and shares how God answered prayers for his entire family. It's really encouraging!

What a privilege it is to pray for our grands. It’s a gift that money can’t buy ... one that will affect not only their lives today, but also their future.

Do you have any tips that would help grandparents remember to pray for their grands on a regular basis?

Have a great week,
Mary
http://www.marymaywrites.com/
http://grandconnection.blogspot.com/

© 2012, 2014 by Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sweet. We pray for our precious grandchildren and name our children, friends, and those who happen to need special prayers every morning before breakfast.That way we never forget. - Rita

Anonymous said...

As always, it's good to hear from you, Rita. You are a special grandmother!