Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Have you ever worried about your grandkids?


Tuesday's Thought*

Have you ever worried about your grandkids? Have you wondered what kind of world they’ll live in? Have you ever feared whether they’ll have the same religious freedom that our generation has known?

I have.

But whenever I worry, I am saying to God that I don’t know if He’s up to the challenge. And, of course, we know He is. Any human challenge is absolutely nothing to Almighty God.

I heard someone once say that worry is to Satan what prayer is to God. Ouch! That’s getting a little close to home. I don’t want to please Satan by worry! I do want to honor God through prayer.

Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him, and He will make your paths straight."

What a great promise! Verse 7 goes on to say, "Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil."

These words remind me not to operate according to my own wisdom—not to be wise in my own eyes. And I’m struck that this instruction is given right after we are told to trust God totally.

The natural inclination is to trust in myself and try to fix things. The Christ-centered response is to remember how God has worked in my life in the past and trust Him for today and tomorrow.

When I remember how God parted the Red Sea and how Jesus rose from the dead … I know that He is up to any challenge. And when I count the many ways that He has intervened in my life over decades … I know that He is able.

So, today, I’m reminded that the greatest thing I can do for our grandkids today, is to pray for them. Yes, no one know what tomorrow holds. But, as it has been said before, We know the One who holds the future.

And He can be trusted.

He is able,
Mary
www.marymaywrites.com
http://grandconnection.blogspot.com


*The picture was taken by Jim Larmoyeux. © by Jim Larmoyeux. All rights reserved. Used with permission.


Subscribe to Grand Connection by Email

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am tempted to worry about my grandkids at lot. But recently the Lord reminded me that focusing on fears opens the door to a lot of negative thinking. So, I try to remember that when some fearful thought passes my way."
-- KJ

Mary May Larmoyeux said...

A good reminder, KJ. Thanks for sharing! -- Mary