Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Friday, August 15, 2008

You've Got Mail!

Friday's Fun

If you’re like me, you're curious when a pop-up appears on your computer announcing “You’ve got mail.” Like its paper counterpart, a piece of unopened electronic mail holds all kinds of possibilities—a note from a loved one, an invitation to something fun, or needless information.

When I was a little girl, my grandmother saved her junk mail for moi … and it was wonderful. Instead of tossing it away, she put it in a stack on a small desk. I remember my childlike excitement when I’d carefully open each piece of mail with my special letter opener.

I haven’t thought about my Nana’s “mailbag” in a long time. Her idea has a lot of potential. You could put handwritten notes in your grand’s stack of mail or insert colorful postcards from visits around the country. You could have older grands read some of the mail to you and discuss what it says. You could discuss various charity appeals and help your grand choose one cause that he/she would like to give to. Then you could match whatever your grand raises for that particular cause. The possibilities are endless.

The next time one of our grands comes over to visit Pops and me, I plan to say: “You’ve got mail!”

He is able,
Mary
http://www.marymaywrites.com/
http://grandconnection.blogspot.com/

No comments: