Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The stresses of school


Tuesday's Grand Connection Thought

by Mary May Larmoyeux

A friend of mine has a little girl who began kindergarten this year. The night before the five year old started school, she asked her mom, "How will I know where the bathroom is? And where is the restaurant in the cafeteria?"

At first her questions brought a smile to my face, but then they reminded me of how stressful the beginning of school can be for children. Some may wonder where the bathroom and "restaurant" are, while others may struggle with deeper questions such as "Will I make a good friend this year?" or "How can I keep my school work organized while living with mom part of the week and with dad the other part of the week?"

Our grandkids always need the assurance of our love, and they also need our prayers. And Psalm 65:2 says: God answers prayer.

What tips do you have about praying for our school-age grandkids?

Have a great week,
Mary
http://www.marymaywrites.com/
http://grandconnection.blogspot.com/

© 2012 Mary Mary Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.
Photo © Steven Pepple/Agency: Dreamstime.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can remember having a nightmare before my first day of school. I never told my parents and I can still recall it vividly. I feared the older children would lock me in a room and not let me out of it. That first day, my mother was ill and I had to register myself for books, etc. The mothers thought I was getting in the way while standing in line and, consequently, I was the last to register. I was too shy to tell them not to break line.It was quite an experience. The consolation was that my mother blessed each of her six children as we walked out the door in the morning for school and told us our Guardian Angels would protect us. She kissed each as we returned home after school. We knew we were loved and we knew our Guardian Angels would be with us no matter what events occurred during the day. It gave us security. I feel so sorry for children who are fearful. I still recite the little prayer to our Guardian Angel. - Rita

Mary May Larmoyeux said...

Rita, like you, I was afraid on my first day of school. What a sweet story about your mom and Guardian Angel! Thanks for sharing it. - Mary