Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Handpicked flowers


Tuesday's Grand Connection Thought


Before my Sunday school class started this week, a little blond-headed girl walked into the room and handed one of the ladies a couple of daffodils. "Miss Barbara," she said, "these are for you."

My mind raced back to years ago when our children were young. One of our sons frequently delighted me with handpicked flowers. A time or two I truly hoped that they weren't from a neighbor's yard!

Last spring a couple of our granddaughters gave me one of the prettiest flower arrangements I had ever gotten—country wildflowers, I think with a little ragweed mixed in. I'm allergic to ragweed, but did I mention that to the grands? Of course not! Any sneezing that I did that day was well worth it.

"The flowers of late winter and early spring," wrote Gertrude S. Wister, "occupy places in our hearts well out of proportion to their size." I have to agree, especially if those flowers were picked by a grandchild.

Do you remember any special bouquet presented to you by a grandchild? Did you pick flowers for your own mother or grandmother?

Have a great week!
Mary
Mary May Larmoyeux
co-author of The Grand Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Article  and photo ©  2012 Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I shall never forget the bouquet of flowers my children brought me one early spring morning. My friend and I watched the children racing through the yard with bouquets held high and wondered what they were doing. Soon they approached and said.”Close your eyes, mom” while slowly combining two bouquets from behind their backs. To my surprise, they presented a spring bouquet with one beautiful Monarch butterfly perched on top. My friend said. “Queens have not received a gift so rare.” I agree. Blessings, Rita

Mary May Larmoyeux said...

What a beautiful memory, Rita! Like your friend said, your grandkids gave you a rare gift. I can't imagine a more beautiful bouquet. Thanks for sharing this.
-- Mary