Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Wonderful Family Traditions



Subscribe to Grand Connection by Email

Tuesday's Grand Connection Thought

by Mary May Larmoyeux

“Recipes, collections, activities—almost anything can become family tradition,” say the Littauers in their book Making the Blue Plate Special. "Start with something that appeals to the majority, they say. "Maybe that’s sharing cinnamon rolls together (homemade or store bought, it doesn’t matter) the first Saturday morning of every month.”

I remember several traditions from my childhood. My grandparents would take my family to lunch on Sundays, after church. We ate in a cafeteria and played a little game called “who can eat for the least amount of money.” (Of course, now I understand that "game.")

And my mother had a recipe for Sugar Cookies that she often made as a special treat when we were having what she used to call "dumpy days." Her mother had given the recipe to her. And, yes, I've passed it down to our children.

When Pops' and my children were growing up, we would regularly mark their heights on a door; we’re continuing this tradition with the grands. They love to see how much they’ve grown! We draw a line for their height, include a date and first name, and sometimes even take pictures when we measure their height. When our out-of-town grands visit, one of the first requests is, "Measure us. See how tall we are."

What traditions do you have with your grandkids ... or what was a tradition that your parents or grandparents had with you?

Have a great week,
Mary
www.marymaywrites.com/
http://grandconnection.blogspot.com/

© by Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.
Photo © Ragne Kabanova / Dreamstime.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hum...let's see...for some reason Christmas traditions keep popping into my head. We, as a family, always read the birth of Jesus on Christmas Eve. That tradition and also going to candlelight service are traditions I'll always keep.

Anonymous said...

Mary, when you wrote about family traditions and mentioned recipes I immediately thought of my son calling on Mother’s Day last Sunday and telling me of a fond memory. “When I was about 5 years old, we went to the store, bought a certain kind of flour (cake flour) made a special recipe that rose like muffins and we put custard inside and sprinkled powdered sugar on top. Where can I find that recipe and that flour?”

I told him they were cream puffs and just sift the regular flour three times if you can’t find cake flour. I would send the recipe. He said he was going to make them for his boys. Isn’t it great that our children remember such events?

As for traditions ... When my siblings and cousins returned home from school my mother had baked a special dessert for us each day. Sometimes cream puffs, chocolate éclairs, lemon or chocolate pie, fruit pie, cookies, gingerbread with whipped cream, almost any dessert you can imagine. She would open the black iron cast oven door and present it with great ceremony. We children gathered around the table for tea, dessert and talk of the day’s events. I tried to do the same for my children only it was not as magical. I treasure the special talks we shared when I asked. “What did you learn today?”

Blessings, Rita

Mary May Larmoyeux said...

Hi, Sharon! Christmas is filled with so many special family traditions.

And, Rita, thanks for sharing about your son's call on Mother's Day and the cream puff recipe. I haven't made those in years and years, and they are so good! I also loved reading about the special recipes your mom would prepare.