Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Friday, July 31, 2009

Baptism of a grandchild

Friday's Grand Connection Fun
by Mary May Larmoyeux

Our oldest grandchild is getting baptized this Sunday and Pops and I will be at the service. What a wonderful day it will be!

Pops and I wanted to give this granddaughter a gift and decided on a necklace with a small cross. If I get my act together, I'll also write her a special letter from Pops and me. It will encourage her to hold firm in her faith ... to remember that Jesus Christ will never disappoint her ... to know that He is her stronghold, refuge and savior (2 Samuel 22:3).

I googled "baptism gifts" and found some great ideas:

personalized Bibles, crosses, silver baby keepsake

One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism - Copper Finish Frame

"Remember Me sterling sliver necklace" - of a lamb

Psalm 23 plaque

Besides giving our grandchild a necklace with a beautiful multicolored cross (which reminds me of a multicolored life), I want to write her a second letter about her decision. It will be sealed in an envelope for her to open when she is 18 years old and put in a keepsake notebook. In this letter will be Pops' and my testimonies and some words that will hopefully encourage her to live a life pleasing to God, regardless of what society says about values and the purpose of life.

Have any of your grandchildren been baptized? Do you have any suggestions for Pops and me? Did you give your grand a gift or write him/her a special letter?

Have a great weekend!

He is able,
Mary
www.marymaywrites.com

Subscribe to Grand Connection by Email

© 2009 by Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.
Photo © by Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

Sharon Ball said...

Mary, the multi-colored cross sounds so beautiful. What a blessing that you'll be there to share in such a special day.

Mary May Larmoyeux said...

Sharon, we were at the baptism yesterday and it was a special day. The cross actually went perfectly with the dress our granddaughter wore and I thought that was neat.