Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Friday, July 5, 2013

Artists at Work

Subscribe to Grand Connection by Email

Friday's Grand Connection Fun
by Mary May Larmoyeux

I made a great find at the dollar store; a small wooden easel/mini-canvas set for only $1.25. It seemed like a perfect project for a rainy day, so I bought enough for all of the grandkids.

When our out-of-town grands were visiting, the rains came ... and came. The time had come to bring out the little easels and canvases. I covered the kitchen counter with white paper, put newspaper under the bar stools, and took out some acrylic paints and paint brushes. After putting some old T-shirts over the kids' outfits, we were ready to go.

Each young Michelangelo had a lot of fun, and the big mess was worth it. I wrote the children's names and the date on the back of their completed masterpieces. I must say, the kids and their parents were very proud of the art work ... and so was I!

In case you would like to do a little painting with your grandkids, I just googled "small easel and canvas." Although I couldn't find the exact easel/canvas set that I found at the dollar store, there was a mini-easel and canvas that was very similar.

Have a great weekend
Mary
Mary May Larmoyeux
http://www.marymaywrites.com/

http://grandconnection.bloogspot.com/

© 2009, 2013 Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.
Photo © by Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.

7 comments:

Karen Jordan said...

I continue to be impressed by your innovative ideas, Mary--oops, I mean, Grandma!

Mary May Larmoyeux said...

Don't be impressed, Karen. I'm just a kid at heart. - Mary

TNT said...

Now that the rains have subsided...I want them back so I too can make a colorful mess with the my little fingered folks. What a simple and insightful idea!!! Thanks.
-TNT

Mary May Larmoyeux said...

Hi, TNT! Thanks for leaving a comment. One thing about the rain ... it will be back. :)
-- Mary

Unknown said...

More great ideas! And for pennies no doubt. Is there no limit to your creativity? :-)

Mary May Larmoyeux said...

Thanks for leaving a comment, Sharon. It encourages me to hear from others!

You, my friend are such a creative writer and I really enjoy your blog.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. The easel/canvas set gives a professional touch to the art work and the artist. I still have some of the art my grandchildren drew and painted when they spent “their week” with us. Some became artists and one a graphic artist. Often, children do not realize their potential until they try. This is true of adults, as well.I did not begin writing in earnest until my children were grown. We all have the potential in many areas, we just need to try. Blessings, Rita