Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Friday, April 24, 2009

Magnetic Scrapbooks Spell Trouble!

Friday's Grand Connection Fun
by Mary May Larmoyeux

The other day, I was showing one of our grandkids some scrapbooks that I made for her dad about 20 years ago. They were in some magnetic photo albums ... seemed great at the time. I was so very proud of those albums!

Well ... our little grand enjoyed seeing the old pictures, but I felt sick as I realized that the pictures, sweet notes, and awards are deteriorating. I have got to do something about this!

So ... the Friday Fun idea this week is to take a stroll down memory lane by looking at your old photo albums and scrapbooks. This would be fun to do with a grandchild or two.

If your grands are school-age, they could be a really big help if you need to put the pictures and memorabilia in photo-safe boxes or new scrapbooks. I can only imagine the rich conversations that grandparents and grandkids could have as they work together to save the family memories.

I did a Google search for "old scrapbooks" and found some really helpful info! I'm especially excited about the online video "Introduction to Fixing Old Scrapbooks" (see link below). When one of the ladies in the video held up her faded brown album pages I thought "There's hope for me."

Here's some info. that I found:

Why should you be concerned about the terms "acid free lignin free buffered?"

Introduction to fixing old scrapbooks


Removing Photos from Old Albums and Scrapbooks

For those smart ones out there who have safely preserved your pictures, do you have any words of wisdom that you would like to share? Maybe words to someone like me who feels like a doofus right now?

Have a great week,
Mary
Mary May Larmoyeux
www.marymaywrites.com

Subscribe to Grand Connection by Email

© Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.

No comments: