Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Friday, June 15, 2012

The children of my children


Tuesday's  Grand Connection Thought

by Mary May Larmoyeux

Not too long ago, my then four-year-old grandson said something that just melted my heart. I was driving his big sis and him to a local farm to see some animals. "Nana," he said from the backseat of the car, "I love you!"

"Well, I love you, too," I answered with a sigh in my heart.

Leah Johnson's poem below, "The Children of My Children," captures the love of a grandmother for her precious grandchildren as they make special memories together. (Leah's poem was the third place winner of the poetry contest that I sponsored in memory of my father. Entries were to include a reference to a grandparent or grandchild.)

The Children of My Children
by Leah D. Johnson

The children of my children, in so many ways,
Remind me of so many bygone days;
Of days long ago, when we did without
Or just made do with what we had about.
The days when a box, or a stick, or a flower,
Could captivate and enthrall us, hour upon hour.

The box became a fort; the stick, a sword;
The flower a symbol of beauty adored.
From fort to castle, to safe hideaway;
From sword to wand to keep evil away.
The flower remains, its petals, torn,
Wilted and tossed aside, sad and forlorn.

Yet the children of my children continue to play,
And find another box, another stick, another day.
Yesterday's flower died, you see,
But today there's another, they picked it for me.
It's always the most beautiful I've ever put to my nose;
Whether a daffodil, a random weed, or a rose.

So I'll save them a box, or a really great stick,
And I'll plant lots of flowers so there are plenty to pick.
We'll take long walks and look for lizards and rocks.
If they walk in the creek, I will carry their socks.
I pray they'll have good memories of these days,
When the children of their children find a stick, and play.

Does this wonderful poem bring back any memories to you? Perhaps special memories of wildflower or weed bouquets?

On Father's Day, why don't you ask the grandfathers in your life if they have any special memories of the children of their children?


Thank God for fathers,
Mary Larmoyeux

Poem "The Children of My Children" © 2011 by Leah D. Johnson. Used with permission. All rights reserved.
Photo and article © 2011 by Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another precious poem about our grandchildren. It reminds me of the day a child of my child picked a yellow crookneck squash blossom and gave it to me saying it was the “most beautiful flower ever.” It was. Blessings, Rita

Mary May Larmoyeux said...

Rita, love your comment about the sqush blossom! It reminded me of the time my grandson gave me some "flowers" that I was allergic to. Would I bring them in the house and put them in a vase? You bettcha! -- Mary