Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

David and the Giant


Tuesday's  Grand Connection Thought

It seems like I’ve heard the story of David and Goliath a million times. Yet, no matter how many times I hear it, the faith of the small boy David facing the giant always amazes me. David knew God upfront and personal. He truly believed nothing is impossible with the Lord, and he acted on that belief.

I'll never forget sharing the story of David and Goliath at church to a group of 3-5 year olds. Our out-of-town grandson was visiting that weekend, and when I asked for a volunteer to be David, his hand shot high in the air. So, I chose him to play the part.

Who was Goliath? A high school student who was over 6 feet tall. Seeing my small grandson next to the seemingly huge Goliath gave me a new appreciation for the faith of David.

When Goliath roared, "Who will fight me?” my then four-year-old grandson jumped to his feet and shouted in his tiny voice, “I will.”

As I watched my grandchild standing next to Goliath. I thought If this were a real fight, you wouldn’t have a chance—in man’s eyes.

When we think of the future battles ahead for our grandkids, it's easy to get concerned. As they get older and experience more of life’s temptations and struggles, may they be like young David and rely on God's enabling strength. May they know that when the Lord is on their side, absolutely nothing is impossible.

Have a great week,
Mary

http://www.marymaywrites.com/
https://grandconnection.blogspot.com/


© 2009 by Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often compare my David with the youth who fought Goliath. David has been fighting stage four cancer for 3 plus years ... He will never give up. - R

Mary May Larmoyeux said...

I hope and pray that your David will will his battle with cancer!