Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Friday, December 21, 2012

The Magic and Wonder of Christmas




Tuesday's Grand Connection Thought

Not too long ago I was with some grandparents and we were sharing some favorite memories. One of the women said that the "magic of Christmas" began with her grandmother who lived with her family.

She recalled her grandmother asking her on Christmas Eve "Did you hear 'em?"

Then her grandmother would point to the roof and say with a twinkle in her eye, "Santa Claus and his reindeer are up there!"

As you turn the pages of the calendar to December, do you have childhood memories of hearing the tapping of reindeer hooves?

Were you like me on Christmas Eve, watching the weatherman track Santa, knowing that within hours jolly old Saint Nick and his sleigh would somehow arrive at "our" house.

Did you or you kids make special cookies for Santa? Did you leave them for him by the Christmas tree, with a glass of milk? Pops and I did as kids, and so did our children. Now's a good time for us to share some of those memories with loved ones and friends.

Santa used to write our kids notes reminding them of the real meaning of Christmas, the birth of Jesus Christ. Some of those notes are still tucked away in their scrapbooks.

Ahhhh ... the magic and wonder of Christmas ... the hope and promise of Christ.

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.
                      (1 Chronicles 16:34)

Have a wonderful weekend,
Mary
© 2009 by Mary May Larmoyeux. All rights reserved.
Photo © Mary Larmoyeux

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Mary, I remember being terrified that Santa wouldn't be able to leave presents because we didn't have a fireplace for him to come down. I laugh about it now, but I remember being beside myself with concern about our lack of a fireplace. For the life of me I can't remember how my mom and dad handled my worries.

Mary May Larmoyeux said...

Sharon, a friend who didn't have a fireplace as a child shared something her father did. He used to always make a big deal out of unlocking the door at night so Santa could come in. Smart dad! I don't think I would have thought of that. :)

Anonymous said...

Mary, You just brought the magic back for a moment. We baked many cookies with cousins and friends at our house and divided them so all could decorate their anise seed cookies. Then they could take them home. One Christmas eve, my sister and I saw a bright red light soar over Mrs. Rolf’s large oak tree and disappear into the night sky. We rushed down stairs to tell the family we had seen Santa’s sled even though we could hear the drone of an air plane overhead. Memories. -- Rita

Mary May Larmoyeux said...

Rita, I love your story about Santa's sled! - Mary

Anonymous said...

Mary, You bring back memories.IMy sister, Pat, and I saw the red light on Santa’s sleigh flying over the huge oak tree on Christmas Eve. We dismissed the fact that planes were flying near the airport a few miles away. It was magical. - Rita