Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Friday, December 6, 2013

Let's make some Christmas ornaments


Friday's Grand Connection Fun
by Mary May Larmoyeux

Last weekend two of our grandkids stayed with Pops and me. On Saturday they helped us decorate the Christmas tree... and they were actually a big help. I was amazed!

As I sat on the floor and gave ornaments to the grands, my mind wandered back to my childhood. We always had our Christmas tree in the living room. Mom would sit on the couch, add hooks to the ornaments, and then hand them to my brother, three sisters, and me. Dad's specialty was hanging the lights and helping us place the long, silver icicles on the tree—one by one.

Pops told me that his family just threw the icicles on their Christmas tree. I think that's because there were just two kids in his family. With five kids, my parents must have wanted decorating the tree to occupy us kids for as longgggg as possible.

As the grands decorated the tree last Saturday, I spotted ornaments that their dad and uncle had made long ago. There were pictures of little boys with big smiles, immortalized in plastic. Toothpicks framed parts of old Christmas cards, and small wooden wreaths hung that were touched by little hands. I couldn't help but smile.

There's just something about Christmas. It brings us back to what's really important: our faith and family and friendships.

For today's Friday's Fun idea, I thought I'd explain how to make some of those little toothpick ornaments that are now hanging on our tree. They are very easy to make!

First, cut some old Christmas cards into a shape similar to a small house (see above picture). Then glue two or three layers of toothpicks along the perimeter, making a "frame." After this dries, slip a hook or paperclip through the toothpicks and the masterpieces are ready to be hung on the Christmas tree. Grandkids could date and sign the back of these handmade ornaments, making one more memory, for one more Christmas Day.

What childhood memories do you have of decorating your Christmas tree? Are you continuing (or beginning) any Christmas decorating traditions with your grandkids?

Have a great weekend,
Mary
www.marymaywrites.com
www.grandconnection.org

You may want to read: Making Gingerbread Houses

Subscribe to Grand Connection by Email

Post and picture © 2009 by Mary May Larmoyeux.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an adorable ornament. I wish I had known how to make that toothpick house a long time ago. My favorite memory of Christmas are the first few months in the country when we had no electricity in our new home. Kerosene lamps provided light. On Christmas eve, we six children waited at the top of the stairs for the ring of the miniature silver bell. When we heard the tinkling sound, we scrambled downstairs to witness a dazzling sight. That evening, we had decorated the Christmas tree with ornaments, tinsel and ginger cookies. To our surprise, dad lit burning tapers and the tree was a brilliant glowing tree for only a few minutes. All of my siblings will never forget that special moment in our childhood. Have a blessed Christmas. Love, Rita

Anonymous said...

I remember our first Christmas in the country. On Christmas Eve, we six children waited on the stairs until we heard the tinkle of the little silver bell. We tumbled down stairs to view an unforgettable sight. A large cedar tree sparkled with silver icicles, bright ornaments, midst cookies that smelled of ginger and anise. I will never forget the soft glimmer from burning tapers on the tree. Our faces flushed in the candles’ glow. Silent Night sounded on the Victrola. The Nativity scene...Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus, blanketed in cotton snow, smelled of fresh evergreen and red berries. We children stood spellbound...in awe of this radiant scene. It lasted for a minute or so because dad had to guard all of the candles. Our gifts were meager but that precious memory is the gift that returns every Christmas Eve and I become the child again. Blessings, Rita