Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Just a Little Thing

Tuesday's Thought

Last Tuesday I shared that our three-year-old grand and I were going on a "field trip in honesty." I was going to take her with me to the store and pay money that I owed for incorrectly charged items. I promised to give you an update, so here it is.

Actually, it was a pretty uneventful experience. I explained what happened to the customer service representative (and to our grandchild) and wrote a check for what I owed. Our grand and I talked about why it's always important to be honest. It was just a little thing.

But little things count, don't they? I still remember my dad explaining to me that when I write a check it's a promise—a promise that the money is in the bank.

When someone carries groceries to my car, I remember how Mom would always tip the young man or lady who helped her with her groceries ... and I do the same.

And at times when I look up at the moon on a dark night I remember Dad and I standing in the backyard together decades ago. He pointed up to the moon and said, "A man walked on that moon today." (I'm really dating myself now, aren't I!)

Life is made up of little things. Little moments that transform themselves into days ... and months ... and years.

I love what Gloria Gaither and Shirley Dobson said in their book Let's Make a Memory: "We have this moment to hold in our hand, and to touch as it slips through our fingers like sand. Yesterday's gone and tomorrow may never come, But we have this moment today!"

I hope that the moments that my three-year-old grand and I spent on our "field trip in honesty" made a lasting impression. Yes, it was a little thing.

But little things do count.

He is able,
Mary
http://www.marymaywrites.com/
http://grandconnection.blogspot.com/

No comments: