Welcome to a place where we can share ideas about grandparenting, especially ways to pass spiritual values and family stories to the next generation.

Mary is the co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart.
Visit www.legacyconnection.org
My photo
Co-author of The Grandparent Connection: 365 Ways to Connect With Your Grandchild's Heart

Friday, November 14, 2008

Let's Make a Thanksgiving Tree


Everyone who submits a comment (or e-mail) from October 21-December 5 will be entered into a drawing. The winner will receive a copy of While They Were Sleeping: 12 Character Traits for Moms [Grandmoms] to Pray and “What God Wants for Christmas.” I’ll draw a name on December 6 and will announce the winner’s name in the December 8 blog.

Friday Fun


We have something new at our house this year—a Thanksgiving tree. Well, it’s not a real tree. It’s a small plastic “cheese” tree … originally designed for cubes of cheese to cover its branches.

But instead of cheese, this year the little tree is covered with small notes of thanks to God for what He has done during the year. Jim and I and the grandkids have been periodically jotting down things we’re thankful for and attaching them to the tree. (We use various types of clips to attach the notes.) We’ll read all of the notes on Thanksgiving Day.

Our little granddaughter is especially excited about the Thanksgiving tree. She tells me what she’s thankful for and I write it on her card. Then she colors the card. I love the fact that she asks me over and over to write, “I thank God for Mommy and Daddy.”

He is able,
Mary
www.marymaywrites.com
http://grandconnection.blogspot.com



Subscribe to Grand Connection by Email

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, Mary! Maybe I can get my act together and try your tree idea on Thanksgiving day. I think my grandkids and their parents will love it.

This project might work well as a small Christmas tree, too. Each person could contribute a special Christmas memory that would prompt a story from the past when the notes are read on Christmas at a family meal or party.

Happy Thanksgiving! kj

Mary May Larmoyeux said...

It's good to hear from you, KJ. I really like your idea about a Christmas memory tree. Thanks for sharing!
-- Mary